How To Make a Mustard Plaster for Chest Congestion
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup mustard seed powder (you can also grind mustard seeds into powder yourself, which would make a stronger and even more effective poultice).
- Olive oil, to apply to SKIN so prevent the plaster from burning skin
- Stir in enough hot water to make a thick paste with flour and mustard seed powder.
- Be sure to place a thin layer of olive oil on the chest before you put the paste on to help keep the plaster from “burning” the skin. Place this paste on the chest and cover with a hot wet towel.
- Place a dry towel on top of that. You don’t have to place a hot towel on the paste, but this will help the mustard seed to stay warm and effective.
- It’s very important to check the plaster from time to time to make sure it isn’t burning the skin.
- Leave this on the chest all day or overnight as long as the skin isn’t becoming irritated. If you have sensitive skin, only use the plaster for 20-30 minutes at a time.